What are Connectives?
Connectives are words and sometimes short phrases which we use to link or connect sentences, ideas and whole paragraphs together.
How are Connectives Used?
Connectives are used to:
- introduce quotations
- give an example or evidence in an essay
- introduce an alternative point of view
- add a contrasting example to your essay
- enable your writing to be more balanced and objective
Connectives are Grouped According to Linking Ability and Used in Essays in the Following Format:
- Qualifying Connectives: although / unless / except / if / yet / as long as / apart from / despite
- Cause and Effect Connectives: because / so / therefore / thus / consequently / stemming from this / as a result / an upshot of / hence
- Contrasting Connectives: whereas / alternatively / instead of / otherwise / unlike / on the other hand / in other respects / on the contrary
- Emphasising Connectives: above all / in particular / especially / significantly / indeed / notably / obviously / clearly
- Illustrating Connectives: for example / including / such as / for instance / as revealed by / in the case of / these include / as exemplified by
- Comparing Connectives: equally / similarly / in the same way / likewise / as with / in that respect
- Additional Connectives: and / also / as well as / moreover / too / in addition / additionally / furthermore
- Sequencing Connectives: firstly / secondly / lastly / next / then / finally / meanwhile
- Time Connectives: before / during / earlier / later / since / meanwhile / whenever / till / until / by the time / now / straightaway / already / afterwards / next time / hitherto
- Placing Connectives: on / inside / within / outside / throughout / near / beyond / among / below / to / beneath / from / towards / into / out of / off
- Listing Several Points Connectives: Firstly / To start with / To begin with / My first point / Secondly / Next / Furthermore / In addition / Thirdly / Adding to this / also / Further to this / Moreover / Finally / I would also like to make the point that / On top of / According to / One could also consider / To end with / To finish / Lastly / To sum up / In conclusion
Private Home Tutoring of English Not an On-Line Free Tutoring Service
I am NOT an on-line free tutoring service. My resources on this website are for general use only. I do not write student’s essays for them or give advice on essay prompts. However, for more intensive tutoring in a specific area of English, I will visit students in their own homes for private tutoring sessions that are paid on an hourly basis.